We're in the house ... is anybody out there?

Sunday, November 28, 2010

I've just dug the laptop out of the shanty town of cardboard boxes that is my new office in the hope that I might be able to get some kind of communication to the outside world.

Right now we are pretty much devoid of any of the technological niceties we have become accustomed to, which I wouldn't mind so much if we had moved to a third world country, or even the Lake District, but is proving a bitter pill given that we have moved half a mile to the other side of town.

Sky have informed me they will connect the broadband on December 10, which right now seems like next year, so I'm relying on an unreliable dongle that Dave kindly donated.

The stereo people have yet to wire up the house, so we only have a TV which seems to lose its satellite connection whenever it is switched off and a ... wait for it ... FM radio. This worked fine until Lizzie tried to plug a dodgy lamp into one of the kitchen sockets and tripped the ring main. Now it doesn't seem to want to find any stations.

The good thing about all this is that I can concentrate on getting things unpacked, and it is at least an exercise in coping in the event an electromagnetic pulse takes out the world's electronic communications.

It has helped me realise that I probably wouldn't cope very well.

PS: I'll try and post some more pictures of the state of the place during the first days but I can't promise anything with this dodgy dongle connection.